Saturday, September 30, 2017

Penobscot Bay

Thistle has spent almost three months cruising in and around Penobscot Bay and it has been delightful. I feel like we've gotten to know Penobscot Bay pretty well, and we are sad to leave, but the fall color is a little late this year, and the good weather won't last forever, so we are heading south today.

Some of the things I'll never forget about Maine and Penobscot Bay are the wonderful old schooners and wooden boats,

the lighthouses,

the picturesque harbors with huge granite foundations, shingled buildings, and lobster gear piled around,
and the beauty of the rugged coastline.



I especially enjoyed the gardens full of beautiful, healthy flowers,

and the colors of autumn which I hadn't seen in quite a while.

 Here's a map showing our various jaunts around the area. The blue lines are the Captain's trip with Bill. The green lines are his trips with Don, and the yellow and orange lines are the trips we've made since I came back from California.

I might even grow to remember the lobster buoys fondly when enough time passes. Nah, not really, I'm sure I'll never miss them!

No comments: