Sunday, June 3, 2018

City Park and NOMA

On our last day in New Orleans we took the streetcar up to City Park and visited the New Orleans Museum of Art. We were not disappointed!

The large painting you see above is Masquerade Ball by Gaston La Touche. It shows the Paris Opera House hosting a masquerade ball sometime in the late 1800s and it is mesmerizing!

Here is le Mousquetaire du Cardinal by J. L. Gérôme.
Our museum back home has a few pieces by Gérôme (like this one the Saddle Bazaar), and he has always been one of my favorite artists.

Here is Whisperings of Love by William-Adolphe Bouguereau.

After gazing at His Eminence Returns many times as a very young child, I have come to appreciate Jehan-Georges Vibert's great sense of humor. Above is the Cardinal's Friendly Chat at the NOMA, and below is His Eminence Returns at the Haggin Museum.


This detail from Death Comes to the Banquet by Giovanni Martinelli just astounds me. If you zoom in, you can see the apparently random brushstrokes, but step back just a bit and the random brushstrokes become satin and velvet. Just wonderful, isn't it?

The NOMA also has lots of furniture and I started noticing it as we looked at Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun's painting of Marie Antoinette.

Then I started taking photos of chairs. I think I got to about twelve when I realized they would make good jigsaw puzzles, so I made a whole folder of them on my Jigsaw Planet account.

If you like puzzles, check it out at




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura,

We continue to enjoy your blog. I too enjoyed New Orleans on a recent business trip. I loved the music!

Based on your comments, I'm going to have to visit the Haggin which despite my 30 year relationship with Stockton (UOP grad) I've never visited.

Dave Wilson
SSC Member

Back Amongst The Oaks said...

If you enjoy fine art, you will love it.